Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:35:18 -0500
> Old bees plus old bees equals old bees.

> >This hive also was from a swarm as last abandoned hive was but I do
> not think that has anything to do with >what ever is going on.

> I think it does.

I agree.  Late swarms in  particular tend to dwindle in early winter.

I have had little luck with swarms caught in August unless the season is
unusually long and unless they happen to have a young queen.  Often swarms
leave with an old queen, and if she fails and is replaced, the lost time can
mean failure to raise enough young bees.

Also, hives which have been short of stores in fall do the same, even if
they are fed before winter.