Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:46:10 -0600
> When I got there, one of the workers told me that just about every other
> year or so a swarm would move in to the night deposit box.  This time the
> call was made prior to the swarm's arrival.  However, there were from
> fifty to one hundred scout bees flying in and out of the mail slot.

I don't know if you wish to eliminate an excellent magnet for free bees, but
if so, it would make sense to suggest that the city should install a flap
with a spring on the slot to keep it closed when nobody is using it.  These
are readily available AFAIK.  I have several nice brass ones in a junk
drawer off doors from old buildings.

It will be interesting to see if the bees switch their attention to the hive
you moved in.  I suspect they may not.  Bees make decisions over time, and
it seems that moving in bait hives any later than two weeks before the
actual swarming is not very successful.  That may even be a bit late.

Beekeepers wanting to bait swarms should get their bait hives out early, and
preferably with a little old comb and a little honey or syrup for
surrounding hives to discover and rob.  One or at most two standards with
some combs is ideal.

Does anyone know if filling the bait hives with frames of foundation
increases or reduces the attraction? I have had bees swarm into equipment
stacks often, but never in my recollection into boxes of foundation in the
same storage.

Please keep us informed.