From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:52:48 -0500
You will take the average of your mite
> levels and if the average is above certain level < In our case we use 3%
> as the economic threshold for varroa in Alberta>, then you treat.

Interesting!

Most of us test our strongest hives in the yard only. Easy to spot at a
glance. We use starting fluid as the fastest method.

If those have high varroa levels we treat. Averages are not used as most of
us feel:
Why even test any hive but the strongest when deciding on a varroa
treatment?.
Five mites and over spells a varroa treatment for ALL hives..

To simplify I can't remember when we have not needed a couple treatments a
year but our bees ( unlike Canada) raise brood to some degree most of the
year. i have *needed* three treatments recently ( based on testing).

Have had to retreat at times as not happy with the efficacy.

I think many times researchers make a simply process complicated. When I use
sticky boards I never count mites. A glance tells the story.

*if* i sample the wrong hives and decide not to treat and then the hives
crash later  I am in trouble.

One point left out of the discussion is testing after a treatment.

I crank up the bees three times a year. At the end of these times varroa
load is *always high* . maybe we should find a market for varroa mites? Easy
to raise for sure!

bob