Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:34:31 -0400
Here is a nother post that seems to have been eaten by the LISTSERV after I sumitted it over a half-hour ago.
I'm re-sending it using the web interface at www.BEE-L.org .  Wonder if the other copy will show up, or was eaten by the Spam filter?
--

> I will say that these pillow tops "work" -   hives with them will have a
big mound of snow atop, while those without will show a mound of snow with a
chimney melted thru it where you'd expect the cluster to be.

Are you referring to the ones shown at
http://www.miteaway.com/html/advantages.php ?

We've used pillows year-round for many years (15?), but without any inner
cover, under a telescoping lid.

As far as moisture is concerned, Mike is right.  Insulation is not
insulation is not insulation if it is wet.  Also the most important
insulation is the insulation placed on top of the hive.  It does not seem to
matter if the top of the hive is vented and cold air can get in, insulation
on top really helps.

For a whole lot of info, including how to make your own, search for
"pillows" at http://honeybeeworld.com/beesearch.htm or go direct to the
Selected Topic List http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/menus/topics.htm

FWIW, the most basic, cheapest pillow most available is just a chunk of
Fibreglass (pink or yellow) in the R-factor of your choice in a garbage bag
folded over and taped with any waterproof tape.  Use the .heavy-duty bag.
The bees can chew through the cheap ones if you place them directly on the
top bars.  Pillows also can go on top of the inner cover if you prefer).

Joan Durand near Onoway, Alberta, makes heavy-duty commercial quality
pillows sized 22-3/4" x 19" (approx).  They are sewn together using tarp
material, black on one side and silver on the other, with a single layer of
bonded poly (Kodel) batting which ranges from 1/2 to 1" thick for $3.25
each.  The stitching is in 1/4" from the edge, then another round of
stitching is in 1/4" from the first.  The batting is loose, but does not
move, since it is only slightly smaller than the stitching.  Apparently if
it is sewn in, then the pillow does not flex and putting on lids is
difficult.  She will make double layers or any other design on special
order. She also makes wraps, sized 7'6" square to wrap 4 hives and they cost
$57.65 each.  You can reach her at 1-780-967-5984 or fax to 1-780-0380.  Her
email is unreliable she says.

I've seen the pillows and they seem to me to be pretty good.  They are
larger than mine, but also tougher and should take heavy use quite well.
They extend about an inch and a half beyond the box on each end and on each
side.  This is good under a telescoping lid, since it seals well and sheds
water.

Why use pillows, also called quilts, instead of inner covers, etc.?
They seal well against wind
They insulate well and can be doubled or tripled for winter
They are neither warm or cold, since thin plastic has little thermal mass
They are flexible
They crush fewer bees than wood
The bees like them
They can be lifted slightly to inspect without 'cracking' the seal
They can be pulled back or folded to provide a top entrance
They do not get glued down the same way as wood
They can accommodate patties or fondant underneath and still seal well
They are easy to stack and handle
They are inexpensive and long-lasting

Pillows are best used with telescoping lids equipped with a 1 to 1-1/2" high
rim of wood mailed inside the top edge to press down on the quilt (pillow)
at the outer edge while allowing the pillow to lift in the middle if there
are patties  or sugar underneath.

These lids, if made deep enough, will work fine with a Mite-Away II or
similar home-made mite treatment if the pillows are left off for the
treatment duration, eliminating the need for separate 'rims' which are a
huge PITA.

When adding a 1 or 1-1/2" lift to many telescoping lids already in service,
though, there is likely to be very little 'lip' since many such lids are
only 2" or so deep.  I suppose a strip could be added to deepen them,
though.

BTW, now that Miteaway II are off the market, those who were finding them
effective enough for their purposes can make their own.  I think the info is
in the BEE-L archives at http://www.BEE-L.org.  They can actually be made
fairly cheaply.  I don't recommend them.  Dri-loc 50 pads are much more
effective since they can be managed better.

Any commercial beekeepers I know do not use inner covers.  They use canvas,
burlap, plastic sheets, pillows, or 16 x 20 carpet chunks on the top bars.

Styrofoam is used, mostly by hobbyists.  It has the disadvantage that it is
eaten by bees, gets dog-eared, and does not conform to surfaces, allowing
air to get between it and what is being insulated.  I do have Styrofoam
hives, though and they work well.  In answer to the original question, I
think that Styrofoam inserted as follower board is a good idea compared to
leaving  feeders in or leaving empty combs.  They would reduce a 10-frame
box to the equivalent of an 8-frame box, and beekeepers have kept bees in
8-frame (narrow) equipment very successfully.  All the caveats about
adequate stores for the cluster apply, though.