From:
Chris Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:32:42 +1000
>At 09:31 29/10/96 +0800, Pure Jane wrote:
>>.... In Chinese we usually keep Italian bees. ....
>>.... If you like, I could also send you some by air. ....

>Ohh No!!!! I can foresee some Tropilaelaps on the way.....

The previous answer raises a very important point about sending bees around
the world.

Some areas like Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii (there may be others) do
not have the pests and diseases the have nearly destroyed beekeeping in
other parts of the world.

These places are anxious to remain free of disease and impose strict rules
about importing bees and other apiary products.

Some places take the simple option and prohibited all imports.  Others allow
some imports under strict conditions.

For example, Australia allows the import of breeder queens.  Prior
permission is required and the queens are quarantined when they arrive.
This procedure has intercepted several cases where the imported queens
carried undesirable pathogens, pests and genes(AHB).  Imports of honey from
some countries is banned.

Beekeepers around the world must respect these regulations.  One day the
gene pool from these sanctuaries may be required to rebuild an apiary
industry destroyed by disease in your part of the world.

Pure Jane's offer to send some queens by air mail may have been well
intentioned but it could also cause a lot of trouble.

For GOD's Sake before you attempt to send (or take delivery of) a bee beyond
you own patch , check out what procedures are required.

Varroa is not native to North America or Britain and bees suffering from it
did not fly there by them selves.  Some beekeeper sent varroa to those
countries.
Regards

Chris Allen