Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:09:57 -0500
> While it is true that the real money in being a snake-oil salesman is the
> income from the annual re-sales of packages and nucs to the cult members
> who
> have deadout after deadout, I am happy to report that one can drive them
> out
> of business by doing exactly what we do, offering packages without question
> to any cult members at non-profit co-op prices (actual cost, no mark-up).
> This cuts into the profits in selling snake-oil, as he wants to sell
> packages for maximum profits, and it also lowers your price per package
> through economies of scale.  It only takes a few years to make snake-oil
> very unprofitable, or at least make him a minor player in the local
> package/nuc business.

If that were only so. It works if you are in control of the club and the
buyers are at least open to other views. True believers are not.

What usually happens is that the snake oil  sell the packages at premium
prices because their bees are (fill in the blank) which is why they are
expensive. If you buy (fill in blank) bees you are only continuing the
cycle of (another blank that needs filling).

What is amazing is the buyers keep coming back even if they lose all their
bees every year. That usually lasts for about three years until they drop
out completely, not because of the bees but because they obviously did not
do something right. That is classic and we have seen it often on this list.

Add that you get to sell specialized (natural) hives, frames and equipment
to the soon to be failed beekeeper. By the time they are done, the failed
beekeeper will have sunk $1,000 and often much more into their venture.

Why do they keep coming back with so many failures? My "Law of the
Survivor" applies, a law that came to me from testimonials about Cancer
survival on the internet. The Law- "Only survivors give testimonials." All
the others that tried the Cancer cure snake oil died. Same here. The
beekeepers who were able to keep bees even with all that was against them
are the examples. So if you fail, it had to be you since others did not
(even if that population is one or two out of dozens or more).  The new
customer is directed to the success for testimonials.

Once, a long time ago, I tried to talk to some who were on their way to
perdition, but to no avail. They were in the light while I in the darkness.
I did not relish their failure. I do not know any who are still keeping
bees.

Now I just let them be. It is sort of like warning people about icy
sidewalks. You are happy for the ones who listen and get through fine, but
the ones who do not, well you sit back and watch the show.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine