Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 03:28:01 -0700
> Alan,

It is Allen, actually.

> I'm having trouble with your post. Can it be that you have never gotten a
> nose-full of OA vapor?

Exactly, but why would I do that?

> It doesn't last long enough to stand around in the smoke.

I don't know what that means.  Please explain further.

> You don't need directions to tell you it's serious stuff.

True, but a whiff is not lethal and that is the most anyone should get.
People do not put their nose to a car tailpipe either -- at least, in all
these years, I have not done that with the engine running.  It has always
seemed obvious to me that this would be a bad idea.  I don't drive wrong-way
on a one-way street either.

We handle many things that we should not breathe, and if we are not sure we
can avoid the concentrated fumes, then we should take whatever precautions
necessary including simply keeping our nose a safe distance away and
watching where the wind is blowing.

I don't know anyone around here who seems to routinely use respirator out in
the field, but maybe I just don't know and should ask further.  I have not
been on a treating round with an experienced operator and have just seen
demos.

I think that some have them for employees and to make the government happy,
but doubt the employees wear them once out of sight.

Do people actually wear respirators handling formic?  That is another nasty
thing to breathe.   I never did, and I do have good one on hand from other
chemical work.  I just worked outdoors and was careful.

The people I know use an evaporation device that does not involve leaning
down and applying or retrieving the device.  Everything is done from a
standing position.  Anyone on list have actual experience to comment?

The unit mentioned in a previous post is different that way, and I also have
no idea if it is effective.  It won't be, BTW, if the temperature is not
controlled (and I think it is not) since OA is quite temperature-sensitive.
Too little heat and it just plugs up.  Too much and it evaporates alright,
but instead of sublimating, it disassociates into useless and ineffective
substances (like water and CO2  -- as I recall).  I always intended to visit
and interview the inventor of that unit since I drive by his house
periodically, but it never worked out since I was always in a hurry to get
to the ferry.

Anyhow, in case anyone thinks my comments *on any topic* are advice, they
are not.  Don't try anything I talk about at home, kids, especially if you
do not understand every tiny detail and have not verified your understanding
of what I say.

My words have more often than not been misconstrued or embellished in the
minds of readers, judging by the responses I get, or maybe I am just a
terrible writer.

No matter.  Caveat emptor.