Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2018 10:22:48 -0400
> That’s clear as mud!...  Actually I am totally confused at the changing winds.

The problem is that you think I am trying to present a consistent point of view, which I am not. I am interested in exploring the details. You are entitled to come to whatever conclusion you reach. Insofar as standards, I would start with the following. All of this stuff is available, you don't have to hunt for it.

Standard methods for rearing and selection of Apis mellifera queens
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3896/IBRA.1.52.1.07

But it matters little if there are standards, if producers don't adhere to them. I will say for the umpteenth time, the proof is in the product. I have shopped around and I know where to get good queens if I want them. For making increase, any new queen will do, she can always be replaced by something better later in the season.

PLB