From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 10:49:31 -0800
On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Stan Sandler wrote:

> Kirk Jones writes:
> >Our recipe:
> >one part expeller process soy flour (you can use 2 parts soy to 1 part yeast)
> >one part brewers yeast
> >add as much natural *pollen as you can afford (we trap our own)
> >mix it up with a commercial bread mixer while adding corn syrup
> >mix it to a somewhat drippy consistancy, as it will set firmer overnight
>
> I have been using what was called "Haydak's mix" in my very dated copy of
> Hive and Honeybee, i.e. 3 parts soy flour, one part brewers yeast, one part
> skim milk powder.  Has there been work since that indicates that less soy
> flour is better? I note that Roy Nettlebank feels that way.  Is skim milk
> powder still thought to be a good ingredient (as a dairy farmer I hope so!)?
> And please if anyone can tell me whether non fat soy flour is as good
> nutritionally as whole fat soy flour(for bees without a cholesterol problem
> :)>  ), I would really like to know.  I posted that question about a month
> ago and got no response.  I am feeding the powder outside today and the bees
> are really going for it (even though it's only +5 degrees C and sunny).

 Hi Stan ,  I will let one of the scientist explain the expeller process
to make soy flower. They press it is all that I know and it leaves 4 to 6
% oil on the flower. The 1992 revision of The Hive and the Honey bee pp.
215 to 221 has some information on work that has been done on pollen
substitutes. I think something was published in the ABJ about soy flower
as a protien source. The info that I recieved was direct from Steve
Taber. He was very strong about using good pollen to feed the bees. In
Steves book Breeding Super Bees , which  is available from the Root Co.
He talks about pollen that will not support larva for spring build up. I
know that different mixtures will work, but which is the best for the
bees is the question. Just raising brood , is like us living on peanut
butter and jelly and bread. We would be missing some of our body needs.
 Your only getting them started and the hive will not be living on your
mixture for very long.If you were going to feed them for a month I would
have some real concern , but we do want to do the best that we can do for
the bees , we are beekeepers.You have brought up something that will help
others. I will say that putting pollen in the mix will make them put it
in the hive faster. I have put out a mix with pollen and one without
pollen. The one with thee pollen was black with bees on it while the
other one had a few bees on it.
 Best Regards
 Roy