From:
CSlade777 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 18:10:03 EDT
Bee Sting Reactions.  Hives is a worry and not to be ignored.  If you consult
your doctor you will be told to give up beekeeping.  Doctors don't realise how
addictive beekeeping is.  I have been told that taking an antihistamine and
aspirin before opening a hive will prevent difficult reactions.  I am not in a
position to confirm or deny the efficacy of this and suggest you ask your
doctor after you've told him you are NOT giving up beekeeping.  I have only
had hives on one occasion after 2 stings.  I have been stung many times since
without this reaction,  sometimes multiple stings.  Generally at the beginning
of the season I take two days swelling up after a sting and two days going
down again.  By the end of the season I am not sure whether I have been stung
or caucht my finger on a splinter.  One year I should experiment by getting
myself stung occasionally during the winter months to see if it keeps my
immunity up.
My advice is persevere, but do it carefully.  Try to get stung a little more
frequently to build up your immumity and to avoid getting a phobia about being
stung, but have a beekeeping buddy with you when you do, someone experienced
enough to sort out any interesting incidents that may arise when you are
stung.
Chris Slade