Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:37:12 -0500
> A new one that we tried was the "Florida Patty" from Dadant that does not
> contain soy protein, but brewers yeast and mostly sugar, to avoid hive
> beetle larvae infestations.

Thanks for the excellent report.

I had a chance to look into some of Dave Mendes' hives while in Florida and
noticed what was left of the pollen supplement on several hives.  When we
lifted the patty, we saw a few larvae under it.  My understanding is that
the patties used were one part yeast and four parts sugar or something of
the sort, although I could be wrong, since I spoke to both Dave and Dave
while at the location, bit did not think to verify with certainty that the
patties I saw there were same the patties we discussed.

At ay rate, assuming they were just yeast and sugar, that would seem to
indicate that they do attract SHB as well.

In regard soy, I am wondering if -- as I understand you to report -- soy
supports SHB too well, if that could be an indicator that soy is a superior
protein source for them?  Of course this does not carry over to bees
necessarily, but it could?

It seems Florida has unique problems and quite a bit of feed experimentation
is taking place there.   The high sugar content is interesting and is used
to speed consumption to head off SHB infestation, but also means a very low
protein level.

As mentioned before, I don't consider protein level to be as important as
knowing what else the bees are getting with it.  Sugar seems to be a good
dilutant and not harmful.

Thanks to all who are writing, on and off-list (even the flames).  I'm
travelling today, so if I am not replying, it is just that.