From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:15:13 -0800
Aaron Morris wrote:

>>It would be great if the informed individuals were able to say where
>>they were on the scale between say 1) Start of problem ...  to  ...
>>10) Problem cracked (for the moment).
>>
>This would be a tough assignment.  Sticking with the T-Mite discussion the
>past week or so, some say it's a definite 10, problem's licked.  Others have
>said it's an 8 in the south but a 3 up north.  Who's correct?  I could be
>wishy washy and say across the board it's a definite 5!  Truth is, no one
>knows and the only real number that is meaningful is the number in YOUR bee
>yard.
>
> HI Aaron and All,

    A point well taken.  Do not EVER expect Super Bee. It will not happen.
 You can find very good genetic stock that will work in your area. Bees
are like grasses ,
You will not find the same grass growing all over North America.
 Our researchers are doing an outstanding job going foreword against the
T-mite.
How do you get that to your yard? Work. , work and more work. I'm first
in contact with
the one that is supplying the Breeders to my queen producer. Then I
interact with my queen producer
on the stock selection I want for any given year. I have been using
Russians from the time they were worthless
(blue line) ( $ 250 ea. ). Now I can  say that my yards look very good
this year with no chemicals.
How did I get there. I requeened 140% last year. That means that I have
hygienic stock checked by me.
The complexity of open breeding and variables with it gives the breeder
a larger mountain to climb.
Some are better climbers than others.
 Wisdom comes over time and work.  George has shared, some of his wisdom
with us on the list..
It is up to us to cross the path and get deeper into our problems.
Nobody has the corner on understanding
and knowledge. We are dealing with many different pieces of the puzzle.
Some problems need to be solved in your own back yard.

>One mentality has to be given up. A quick fix with chemicals. Put it in the hive and I'm done.

Nature has the fix if we can find it..

Best Regards
Roy