Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2010 16:30:09 EDT
Ok, I'd take a deep breath.  Heavily infested bees may or may not have  a
problem, we're convinced it has to do with a Nosema plus another  pathogen.

That said, I recommend keeping Nosema levels low.  I'm not in favor of
drenching - you kill too many bees.  Our experience, which you can try on a
couple of colonies and know in a day or 2, FEED the fumagilin in syrup,
following label directions - don't double up doses, etc.

Bees so bad they won't take syrup, then add a dash of Honey Bee  Healthy.
I DO NOT KNOW what this product does in terms of bee health, but  we found
that bees heavily infested with N. cernae, stopped taking syrup, but  would
resume taking it, if we added the Honey Bee Healthy - maybe its like Pepto
Bismol for bees.

Don't feed just once, feed at least two times about 7-10 days apart, then
check again.  May take three doses.  We got much better control giving  2-3
treatments, then we did with one doubled up dose (which many are
advocating).

Now, I've a favor to ask - we're studying Nosema, but it keeps disappearing
 when we want it.  We can run PCR and determine whether you have N. apis,
N.  ceranae, or both.  I need a pound or two of heavily infected bees,
prefereably still alive.  Send me a battery box or package box with  infected
bees, and we'll run the analyses at no charge.

Send to Bee Alert, 1620 Rodgers St., Missoula, MT  59802  by  UPS.  Thanks

Jerry
406-544-9007