From:
Joe Hemmens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 15:19:06 +0000
Ted Fisher wrote -

Tim Cote wrote:
I've been calling around looking for about 50 hives to buy this fall,
and in that search I found a beekeeper in Mississippi who, when I
asked him about the state of mite-treatment in the hives I was
considering buying, told of his use of Maverick.  When he said it was
based on fuvalinate, I thought maybe there's a new commercial
alternative to apistan(!?).  He told me excitedly of how powerful the
stuff is in killing Varrolla when doloped into a hive.

And so, dear readers, this practice occurs on our soil as we speak.

Guess maybe I shouldn't buy from him (even though they're double deep
10-frames, 125# ave, $60 each).  Hmmmm.>

> I, personally, wouldn't touch the equipment, no matter what the price.  The
> guy is a menace to the honey business - he should be blacklisted!  (Sorry - I
> usually don't get this worked up.)

> Ted Fischer

Ted is right.  As far as I know Fluvalinate has been used in France
where it is available as an Agricultural Spray called 'Klartan'  and
has been applied to bees in the form of strips of
cloth/wood/cardboard,  in this form it is much cheaper than buying
Apistan strips.

Although I am not familiar with Maverik,  I do
know that it has been used in Israel and is based upon the same
chemical.  Many beekeepers in Europe are blaming the improper use of
Klartan for the development of resistance in Varroa to Fluvalinate.
Resistance to Apistan (Fluvalinate) is becoming well documented.
Also what is the honey consumer to make of all this?  I wouldn't want
to eat honey from a colony that someone had improperly treated with
an unspecified amount of agricultural spray.

We only have to look to
Europe to see what happens when the public loses confidence with a
food product (beef).  The producers are crying their eyes out and
going bankrupt.

Best wishes

Joe Hemmens
Joe Hemmens