From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:24:06 -0500
Allen Dick wrote:

> I've never recommended it -- even to my worst enemy -- if I had one -- but you
> can see the (pathetic) pictures in my diary.  There are also pictures of the
> same 2lb packages installed on drawn comb.  You decide.
>

> Maybe later -- after we conclude this experiment, I will be saying differently,
> but for now, I continue to say that installing packages on foundation is a good
> way to kill bees.

Hi Allen,
I tried to find a quote from text for the exact temperature neccessary
for wax production. Couldn't locate but as i remember from memory and
sure if i am wrong will be corrected. I believe the temp. is 70
degreesF.. In my humble opinion when the daytime temp. is above 70F. and
the nightime at least 55 F. the bees on foundation do ok but never as
fast as drawn comb. I believe the temp is the main slow down factor in
those packages.

 I have seen(don't care what researchers say!)queens lay  eggs in a
cells of foundation before the cell is drawn out!
Strickly a guess: Maybe thats why they say swarms are motivated when
hived on foundation! Motivated to make a cell wall around those
eggs/larva.

Because of your outstanding web site and many contributions to
beekeeping i am going to send you my formula for outstanding success
with packages by direct email. The rest of the beekeepers can send money
and a stamped self addressed envelope or wait for the book" Best kept
secrets of beekeeping reveled".
Happy beekeeping!
Bob Harrison U.S.A.