From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 21:40:18 -0500
What if you are in an area with no prior history of foulbrood?
Should we stay away from swarms and just manage apiary as is to be safe?
If we do so, are we able to abstain from prophylactics?

Hi Andrea.

These are very fair and interesting questions. When I was a bee inspector I routinely told folks whether foul brood was a problem in their vicinity. If it is not, I suggest that the use of antibiotics is entirely avoidable. If there is a lot of foul brood, as is the case in certain counties or townships, I suggest that preventive use of terramycin can save a lot of heartache and expense.

It is no substitute for hyper-vigilance, however. Further, if you can be hyper-vigilant about the health of your colonies, you can detect AFB in the very early stages. If a very few cells are found one might treat the colony with TM or remove the combs with the infected cells (this is illegal in some states, allowed in others).

Personally, I enjoy catching swarms and appreciate getting free bees. I don't really worry about getting disease via swarms, it is so rare as to be non-existent. Also, the idea that swarms are carrying some genetic predisposition to swarm has no weight, as far as I'm concerned. Bees have swarmed for a million years, that's just one of the things they do.

I applaud anyone who wishes to avoid routine use of antibiotics or any other "treatments". If you know your area is "clean" I would certainly give it a try. Trouble is, bee inspection is not as widespread as it once was due to budget cuts and lack of support. Therefore it's hard to know what is going on in your township.

Here's where I give my pitch for the beekeepers clubs. Clubs can pool their knowledge and expertise. One of our club members came forward and told of the experience of getting foul brood over and over for several years and even of giving it to a neighbor. This kind of sharing is worth a million bucks.

Personally, I offer to inspect any hive within an hour and a half's drive of my house. I don't ask for compensation (but it is usually offered). Also, I have sent samples to the Bee Lab on behalf of folks who wish to remain anonymous. But there should be no stigma attached to getting bee disease. It just happens some times.

PLB