From:
Todd Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:53:01 -0400
Hives attract various "pests" and other fauna.

The first year we had bees, we would see random roaches, beetles, ants
and whatnot within and around the hives. No big deal. They were just
there and not really a nuisance. We also had mites, but... everyone
has mites.

The second year, wax moths found us. Wax moths are very annoying and
require more management. But, in the end, you can't rid yourself of
them. You just learn to live with them. We also saw our first small
hive beetle that year. I will take the SHB over the wax moth any day,
frankly. They have not been a problem (yet).

So... status quo for awhile and we are fine.

This year: black widow spiders.

What's up with black widow spiders? I never read anything about widow
spiders being particularly attracted to beehives. But they are. I saw
them on the hives of a larger commercial guy recently... and now they
have firmly established themselves on our hives. They are harmless to
the bees (as a whole), but holy cow they unnerve me a bit. I am no
longer just grabbing hive tops without looking (that's how I found my
first one). They are a gorgeous spider, but pretty harmful to us
humans. And now I see them regularly on my hives (usually right under
the lip of a hive top.

Are other beeks seeing this same behavior with the widow spiders? Or
is this something unique to my region? (I'm in North Carolina)
Regardless, this is fair warning to folks to be careful when they grab
equipment. A black widow spider bite is no joke.

-todd

--
The Carolina Bee Company
http://www.carolinabees.com/