From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:04:49 -0400
9 vs 10 an old question. I like 10 for uniformity. It is much easier to put any frame in any space. Mathematically you get 10% more cells. I know the argument for easier inspection and deeper cells but disagree. I think most of us old farts are set in our ways and not likely to change so the discussion is probably most helpful for newer beeks not yet decided. If using division board feeders, as most commercials do 9 + a feeder is very tight. I use top bucket feeders. 10 is a snug fit in any regard so I always start an inspection by pulling an outside frame where the Queen is not likely to be and sliding the others apart before pulling. My experience is a lot less bridge comb with 10. I annually add 2 new foundation to each deep and with 10 they will draw it out uniformly, not so with 9. A 3 hole queen cage will not fit between top bars with 10 so ether crush it in just below the bars or as I much prefer introduce queens in a press in wire cage, yes it is one more trip but very much higher acceptance in my experience. I started with 10 and went to 9 on advise of "experts" in my early days and did not like it after 5 or so years and can say it is a mess to go back to 10. A lot of crushed comb and unhappy bees so my advise is try each on a small scale before making a large scale decision. If using 7/8" lumber 9 is no doubt best...eh? Needless to say 9 or even 8 with metal frame spacers in all drawn honey supers for ease of extraction and measurably more honey.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA