From:
Georges Prigent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2016 17:52:44 -0400
Let me bring another view point to the discussion. VHS is not enough, my local bee in France is diligent to even clean the roof of the hive, I was so astonished to witness how fast they removed a bunch of Vespa velutina left over dead on their roof.
Apis ceranae, Apis scutellata, Apis m capensis would be diligent to agress mites or have VHS behavior, so do mine in France ! For those who have been travelling to Asia or Africa, you have noticed the much smaller size of the bee overthere ? Suppose the Varroa family is able to pick 30% of the body fluid reserve on our Apis mellifera nymph, how much it relates to the size of the small Apis cerana nymph ?
See accuratly done size comparison in this publication : http://bmcgenomics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2164-16-1
The female Apis cerana nymphs cannot survive (this is fact), only male nymphs are able to survive. All emerging females are wounded free and most likely deformed wing virus and other virus are minor to these population (my assumption needs to be prooven of course).
So the solution for evolution would be to breed for a much smaller or a much bigger honeybee. In the first case, the body fluid reserves are not enough to maintain the life ; in the second case the body fluid reserves are plenty enough to have minor consequence on the honeybee health. But thing about the consequence, the flowers would need to evolve as well to fit with the new bred honeybee. I say this because according to what I have observed in China, there are many plants that are pollinated by both honeybees, but tiny nectar tubes are only visited by Apis cerana.
Georges Prigent France