From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 13:17:33 -0800
Hi to all on BEE-L

Adrian Wenner wrote:
For instance, a Rev. Belknap had claimed that Columbus had
brought over the first Apis mellifera colonies.

Reply:
I have a discourse written by Jeremy Belknap delivered on
23 Oct 1792 to commemorate the discovery of America by
Christopher Columbus. In it he states:

"There is one circumstance in the history of Columbus,
which proves that bees were known in the islands of the
West Indies, at the time of his discovery. When on his
first return to Europe we was in danger of perishing at
see, he wrote an account of his doscovery on parchment,
which he enclosed in a cake of wax, and put into a tight
cask, committing the whole to the sea, in hope of its being
driver on shore or taken up. This was procured in the
island of Hispaniola, which he had visited, and it was one
of the first fruits of his discovery."

Adrian: Question - Can you give more detail on your quote
for me?

Also, if the first trip by Columbus brought back wax and I
am sure others did also, then has any of this wax been
sampled and anaylsed to see what type of bees made it?

Just a thought.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby