From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 03:57:55 +0000
Hi Randy and All

Do you or does anyone know whether the queen breeders that supply Bob and his friends are indeed selecting for CCD survival?  Bob's attitude when we asked him earlier was to ditch the dinks and buy anew, which left me believing that Bob's advice was not the way forward for those suffering CCD.  Any sign that the US beekeeping industry is learning these lessons?

I would imagine that trying to breed resistance to imidacloprid is futile (even if it was a factor in CCD, do bees vary for susceptibility?) whereas breeding resistance to Nosema ceranae and viruses is almost guaranteed to work.

all the best

Gavin