From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 2009 11:51:31 -0400
> Just to be explicit -- I have never put checkmite in my hives - ever
> I'm sure that the foundation has a bit though
> How bound into the wax is the comphos?

I am not sure if anyone has evaluated commercial foundation for residues.
It is assumed that if foundation is made from capping wax, the levels
would be comparatively low. (This may be false). However, the following
study shows how difficult it is to get it out of the hives, once it is
introduced. They also mention the illegal use of coumaphos derived
products.

"Residues in beeswax after conversion to organic beekeeping" by Lodesani
et al

Abstract

> Beekeepers interested in converting their honey farms to organic
management must replace old combs with organic foundations. The
experiment described in this paper compares two methods of replacement
of old combs, “fast” (5 combs per year) and “slow” (2 combs per year),
by measuring the levels of acaricide residues in the newly built combs.
Considered acaricides were coumaphos (Perizin and Asuntol), fluvalinate
(Apistan) and clorfenvinphos (Supona). Significant differences between
the two replacement groups were observed only for the Apistan group in
the third year, confirming high lipophilicity of fluvalinate. The
residue levels in the newly built combs three years after beginning the
conversion were significantly lower than initial levels for all
products.

Discussion

> Comb wax at the end of experiment contained residues of the previously
used acaricides (compared to initial concentrations: 4% Supona, 5%
Asuntol, 8% Perizin and 10% Apistan), independently from the speed of
replacement. This confirms that a complete renewal of the brood combs in
the hive over 2 or more years is not sufficient to guarantee complete
absence of residues of some of the used products (not only for the
unregistered Asuntol but even in the case of Apistan).

> The decision adopted by many Organic Farming Control Bodies in Italy, to
accept certain levels of residues in brood comb wax in the initial years
of organic management, therefore appears justified. The same allowance
is also valid for the melted honey-cap wax used to be transformed in
foundations by the converting beekeepers. The risks of using coumaphos
in the unregistered product Asuntol, in terms of high levels of residues
which may contaminate honey for human consumption, are confirmed by this
study.

--
Peter L Borst
Cohen Lab