From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:06:01 -0700
I wrote:
> I wonder what ever happened to the HIP project.  It worked along the line of
> selecting hives that did not need any assistance and should have paid off by
> now.  Haven't heard from Jack Griffes for a year now.

Jack wrote me today and said I could relay this to BEE-L:

=============
Howdy Allen,

HIP continues.  But the genetic puzzle to achieve Varroa
resistance/tolerance/untreated thriving survivability is complex and we have
but very very few among the MANY beekeepers that will actually "Cooperate"
so we can unitedly work the puzzle out.  Lots of interested specatators and
few who will actually help do the needful work.

Just remember when you read reports from "researchers" that we have yet to
have even one of them allow HIP to test their "resistant" stock side by side
with HIP stock in one of our HIP test yards for the 2 years untreated
thriving survivor test we require.  READ CAREFULLY and you will discover
that in every instance that I have seen that "researchers" start with some
unproven hypothesis and never do attempt to correlate it to reality -
untreated reality.  An example - BIG ASSUMPTION - reducing mite population
increase = varroa resistance - then a program designed to breed bees that
can under ideal conditions actually have a negative v-mite population
growth - a dandy thing but then it begs the question --- WILL THEY SURVIVE
with their "reduced mite load" and thrive next year as well WITH NO MITE
TREATMENT of any kind (chemical, biological, grease patty, TM extender
patty, etc.)????  And if they do can they pass it on consistently to their
offspring???  In my own Untreated Test Yard some years back I witnessed the
very best at holding mite load down CRASH when some of those not even close
to as good (at that trait) kept right on chugging along, made honey, etc..
In my opinion disease resistance MAY make more actual difference in
survivability than does mere "low mite load" maintenance.

HIP does not claim we have the puzzle figured out yet - but we keep right on
plugging away at it.  Sure wish we had more good beekeepers that cared
enough to pitch in and cooperate so we could unitedly work out the puzzle.

Yes if you are a USA based beekeeper you might actually be able to join HIP.
Here is what we require.  If you are up to the challenge of actually helping
work out the puzzle get with me via email  [log in to unmask]  Jack
Griffes, founder of the Honeybee Improvement Program - we need to "talk."

HIP requires a $200 annual membership fee.  Currently $150 of that goes
directly to pay for AI work and $50 is used for "promotion/education"
advertising (meaning we have a miniscule advertising budget).  HIP
Cooperators must also maintain at their own cost at least one t-totally
untreated for any kind of mites bee yard year round continuously.  Careful
selection each year of your best of the best stock for placement in your own
HIP test yard - based upon the current voted upon selection criterion.
Further observation and selection within your HIP test yard to pick out the
best 2 year Untreated Thriving Survivors.  Rearing of a minimum of 10 virgin
queens from each tested breeder queen and sending them to HIP Cooperator,
and Custom AI technician, Garrett Dodds, of Royal Gold Farms
[log in to unmask] on the schedule set each year.  Introduction and
care for at least 10 HIP AI "potential breeder" queens each year - selecting
breeders from them after time shows which are worthy.  Obviously you gotta
be able to rear queens and also obviously you gotta use a bunch of stock you
rear yourself.

May God bless you and yours as
you strive to follow Him,

Jack Griffes  [log in to unmask]