From:
Fernando <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1992 09:49:53 CST
Well, I think the matter is not whether the africanized are desirable or
not. They are here and I really believe that nobody or no technology
will be able to just push them back thruough the borders. I think the
real question now is: once they are here, what should we do?
     It is fact that the africanized bees can kill (as other can), but
keep stuck on this is no progress and will not help solve the problem.
As Doug was saying the other they, it seems that the first waves of bees
arriving are the most dangerous. So what I think should be done now is
keep populations, especially in rural areas, informed about the dangers
associated with feral bee colonies in these days. They should be taught
to deal with the problem. What I think is going on now is a campaign pro
panic.
   As to the problem of having bees in the attic etc. Yes it may become
a nuisance. Although they should not be dangerous unless they are moles-
ted. In Brazil, what has been done to deal with this kind of problem is
to put firefighters and beekeeper associations working together. Firemen
are thaught how to deal with bee swarms and colonies and they might have
an experienced beekeeper with them at action, or in more difficult cases
call beekeepers to capture the bees.
   Nowadays, in Brazil, the beekeeping industry is growing, and we do
not have more problems with bee attacks now than we use to have before
the arrival of the africanized. But, shure, the beekeeping industry has
to adapt to the new conditions. Maybe the US beekeepers would have some
to learn with their colleages down in Brazil. Why not trying to make
contact directly between north american and brazilian beekeeping asso-
ssiations?