From:
John Macdougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2015 13:50:26 +0000
"heat loss through the shallow portion of wood remaining when handles are cut into all 4 sides of the hive bodies". Yes, indeed. Have seen some thermal imaging camera shots of hives (Langstroth I think). Not surprisingly, the handle areas glow brightly and also (less brightly) the gaps between brood boxes and supers.

It was mentioned somewhere that looking at the physics of the thermal properties of hives ignores "big picture" issues. OK but to my mind the big picture includes the physics which must be a major factor and should not be ignored just because it seems to be pointing to non-traditional hive construction. If there is some evidence that colonies are healthier, more productive and survive winter better in hives with lower thermal conductivity and reduced ventilation then it is worth checking out. There does seem to be plenty of anecdotal evidence to this effect. Derek Mitchell has now quantified the thermal effects which can be used as an input to further research. Doing that research is out of my league but hopefully there are institutions out there to take it further.

John