Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:12:25 -0600
?> why no(t) put some of the goverment money that is given out each year
into offering the largest commecial beekeepers smr queens a little or no
cost to them each year to get an abundance of these genetics out into the
field where they can really make a difference.  say 25% of their queens ...

I'm sure Bob will have more to say, but in brief, here are a few ideas why I
think it wouldn't work:

1. Commercial beekeepers don't want them.  They want highly productive stock
which is proven in their management system.

2. Who would raise them?  If the government were to do it, they would cost
the taxpayer at least $100 each.

3. 25% annually would not make a dent.  Some commercial beekeepers change
their queens multiple times a year.

4. Most likely they would take a glance at the SMR queen patterns and those
would be the hives that got requeened first.

Bob?