From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 05:21:12 -0400
>Pure Jane wrote:
<snip>
 I've
>> send some to my fellow in Mexico. He is satisfied with it. If you like ,
>> I could also send you some by air. You may contact me :
>> Pure Jane
>
>Hi Pure Jane,
>
>I would like to receive some by air, how long would they last, in your
>experience how long does it takes to get here?  How much would it cost
>me?
>
>Saludes (Regards in Spanish),
>
>Guillermo Jacoby
>AHBeekeeper from Nicaragua

I have been watching this thread with some humour up to now. Please would
someone knowledgeable about the laws governing the mailing of bees around
the world comment on this.  Hopefully it is NOT LEGAL to just mail bees from
a country where tropilaelaps exists to another continent where it doesn't
(although with all the problems in Nicaragua I'm sure that bee inspection is
not much of a priority}.

Jane:  I don't think David Eyre was referring to your honey as "dirty", or
putting down Chinese beekeepers in any way.  It was my impression that he
was just upset about the mailing of bees (as I am).  This is a very
dangerous practice.

Guillermo:  I have very gentle bees, but when I have had beekeepers visit
from Togo and Surinam who are used to working with African or Africanized
bees, both said that there were many ADVANTAGES to their bees. They are good
honey producers and very disease resistant.  I suggest (humbly, because I
know that working with defensive bees is no picnic) that you take the
suggestion of our colleague in Brazil who offered to send you information on
how to work with Africanized bees.