From:
Mary Ann Kae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2017 00:35:52 -0500
Rob,
Another Puget Sound hobbyist here.  I'd be reluctant to introduce moisture into hives in the winter, it's hard enough controlling condensation. That's the big difference between here and Randy's territory - so much more atmospheric humidity.  I don't know any local PSBA members who feed liquid this time of year - everyone uses some form of candy board or sugar cake.

I use a no-cook recipe: 5 cups sugar (2.5 lbs by weight), 1/2 cup cold water, 3/4 teaspoon vinegar.  I also add a small quantity of Honey-B-Healthy when measuring out the H2O.  Mix until blended well, press into aluminum or plastic pans and allow to dry in a warm room, minimum of 24 -36 hrs or until the cake hardens thoroughly.  This quantity is enough for two cakes approx 6"x8".  I put it on the top bars over the cluster, use a shim for added space, then a moisture quilt:  https://honeybeesuite.com/how-to-make-a-moisture-quilt-for-a-langstroth-hive/  My quilt box is a bit deeper than the one shown.  My hives are doing fine with this setup.  This is more fussing than the pros and small timers would do, but it works great.

Mary Ann Kae
Seattle