From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 22:28:28 -0600
George_Willy wrote:

> the lumber back and have it plained down to 7/8" or 3/4". Reasons are
> several. Exterior will grab extra weather and will deteriorate faster.

Well, I don't know George what you base this on as I have been in the construction
business for 20 years and know first hand that if wood is properly painted, a rougher
surface board will hold up better to the elements and require less up keep than a smooth
board treated the same way. Paint has less to hold onto when the suface is smooth and
the thickness of the paint will be much less than what a rough board will hold. When we
replace damaged and rotting exterior boards, it's the smooth ones we're replacing not the
rough sawn. I don't want to make a big issue out of this but maybe there are other
reasons not to use rough boards for hives but not the one you mention above. Especially
if Jim thinks he would have to spend the extra money to have the boards planed for him to
be able to use the wood.

I remember earlier this year someone posted from Ireland when the issue of wood for hives
came up and he said that he used rough sawn lumber for his and that they were holding
up extremely well. Your point about the bees propolising the rough surface on the inside
and building burr comb is something to consider. Have you experienced this first hand?

Christmas greetings to all.....which I don't know why it should be any different from the
other 364 days!

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey