From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2010 12:32:58 -0400
Allen writes:
> Where's the hard science?

here's three points of view on that:

The biggest oxymoron in science is this dangerously wrong-headed phrase: exact science.  -- Renowned climatologist Stephen Schneider in his last interview, in Stanford Magazine, before dying in July at age 65 of a heart attack.

We laid the ground rules -- that any research we did, we would have to take total control of the data, transparency and the freedom to make those data available to other scientists and subject to peer review. They left and we never heard back from them.  -- Bob Shipp of the University of South Alabama, whose marine science department was being considered by BP to work on a restoration plan after the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

If one cannot state a matter clearly enough so that even an intelligent twelve-year-old can understand it, one should remain within the cloistered walls of the university and laboratory until one gets a better grasp of one’s subject matter. -- Cultural anthropologist Margaret Mead