Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2018 23:04:09 -0500
Hi all
I agree in principal that keeping a notebook is the most sensible way of record keeping. But alas, I too have found it ends up getting wet or sullied in some way and falls by the wayside. So I have reverted to the tried and true method of writing on top of the hives. I have been using a large magic marker of late, though I know that many professional beekeepers use lumber crayons.

I learned long ago that the different colors have different durability. Blue lasts about a season, black seems to last forever, yellow and red fade quickly. So, which color you use depends on whether you want the notes to still be there or to fade from view. Some beekeepers developed elaborate systems where the placement of the brick on the hive meant various states and things that need to be done.

Most notes are "check back" notes, and can be allowed to quickly fade. If you accept that you start the new season with whatever you got, last year's marks aren't much use anyway.

PLB