Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:20:21 +1300
Dear All,
Interesting discussion about attendants in queen cages.  We have been told
to take attendants from the face of the pollen frame closest to the brood.
The bees there are most likely to include a selection of those feeding the
queen or larvae.

The correct nutrition of queens is crucial and yet is sometimes ignored by
queen breeders.  Adequate high protein pollen supplies (willow and gorse
provide much higher protein sources than many of our native trees in New
Zealand and presumably their are protein differences between plants in other
countries) in the starter/finisher hives is vitally important for the proper
development of queens so as to ensure that they develop the greatest number
of ovarioles, thereby ensuring maximum egg laying capacity.  Likewise, good
pollen supplies and adequate bees to feed the queen in mating nucs is very
important for the well being of the queen.  So it stands to reason that you
need attendants in the queen mailing cage that can feed her properly.

I've just read the relevant sections of "The Hive and the Honey Bee" and it
says that queens are fed by nurse bees but it doesn't say categorically that
queens don't feed themselves.  Someone on the list said that queens will
survive on candy and I'm not sure whether this was eaten directly or via
feeding by attendants.  Does anyone have any observations/experience with
this?

Simon Peacey