Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:21:42 -0500
> > High fructose corn syrup may be used as a sweetener in processed foods
> and beverages and is nutritionally equivalent to sucrose. Both sweeteners
> contain the same number of calories (4 per gram) and consist of about equal
> parts of fructose and glucose. Once absorbed into the blood stream, the two
> sweeteners are indistinguishable. HFCS is a controversial topic and although
> not all nutrition professionals will readily accept the scientific evidence,
> this paper represents an evidenced-based, balanced perspective.

There is no issue on calories or that sucrose is converted into fructose and
glucose by the body. The issue is the conversion before it gets into the
body and what that signals to the body. Sucrose is broken down but that
breakdown is regulated and the sugars are converted to either fat or
metabolized. When the breakdown occurs before consumption, most goes to fat.
Plus there are other things that happen to satiation signals (I am full and
do not need to eat more). We are still scratching the surface as to what
happens with sugar/HFCS consumption and how the body treats them. It is much
too simplistic to note that they contain the same number of calories and are
chemically similar.

What is interesting is the number of juice and other food products that have
shifted to sucrose. Check the grocery isles and note the "NO HFCS" banners.
Someone is reading the literature.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine