From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:33:33 -0400
>I believe this is what you seek

>see
http://home.us.archive.org/details/onagriculturewit02coluuoft

====

Thanks Peter!

Excellent!
Thats a great link!

I am seeking quotes from the early writers,
and up to and including 19c, concerning swarming
in bees. At this time I am focusing on passages describing
methods used to cause swarming bees to settle,
clipping queens, queen selection etc.

The ancient writers describe swarming as a
battle between opposing kings, or a civil war.
So I believe I have located the passage I am
seeking, which I have pasted below.

I have also noticed that Roman writers lagged
behind the Greeks, who appear to have been
the leaders in beekeeping technology.

==== Book Excerpt =====

Columella
BOOK IX. IX. 5-7

5 Itaque maxime observari debent, quae istud
faciunt, ut sive ad pugnam eruperint, nam inter se
tanquam civilibus bellis, et cum alteris quasi cum
exteris gentibus proeliantur, sive fugae causa se
proripuerint, praesto sit ad utrumque casum paratus

6 custos. Pugna quidem vel unius inter se dissidentis
vel duorum examinum discordantium facile compesci-
tur : nam ut idem ait,

Pulveris exigui iactu compressa quiescit

BOOK IX. IX. 5-7

The bees, therefore, which behave like this ought 5
especially to be kept under observation, so that,
whether they sally forth to battle (for they wage a
kind of civil war amongst themselves and as it were
foreign wars with other swarms) or break out in order
to escape, the keeper may be at hand, ready for either
event. Fighting either of the bees of one swarm 6
quarrelling amongst themselves or of two swarms at
variance with one another is easily quelled; for, as
the same poet says,

By casting of a little dust the strife
Is stayed and laid to rest,"

===== End Excerpt =====