From:
Kirk Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:34:52 -0400
Hi Ya'll,

Just a short note from an avid reader(lurker).....
I am the general mgr. for a migratory operation between northern Michigan
and the panhandle of Florida. I would consider myself to be a progressive
beekeeper, ie., one that is open to new ideas to keep my bees healthy, and
that has included doing some things off label. The govt. and regulatory
agencies are generally behind the curve, and if we had to wait for someone
to tell us how to keep our bees alive and give us permission to manage for
mites, bacteria, virus, bears, etc, we would be *out of business*.

Not only would my employees lose their jobs, but the bees would be dead and
that would reflect very poor animal husbandry. So my first job is to keep my
bees alive and that also means I have to look ahead to the next year in
terms of the combs getting contaminated, antibiotic resistance, etc.

I started about 30 years ago and did get a few years in the "golden era"
before the mites. But I'm still here and consider myself a survivor.

I would like to drop all treatments, but that is not an option. Pragmatism
rules in my world. I can appreciate the viewpoint of the "organic" folks. I
buy organic food myself. But if I had to eat something or die, I would eat
the whatever I had to to survive to fight another day. It's that way with
the bees too. Win today's battle to fight another day.

Alot of farmers depend on our organization to have "rockin'" bees to
pollinate their crops and we do have good hives for them. All the families
that depend on income from our operation to pay their bills can count on our
operation to constantly think and rethink our management scheme that has
resulted in positive results. Knock on wood....we are anxious about being
the next casualty of collapse.

My opinion on healthy bees....keep your eye on the ball. The ball is MITES.
Don't go over 3 months without treatment. Never let mite rolls go over 5.
Beat em back. We treat right before supering with thymol for instance. It's
the last treatment we can get in thats benevolent. Earlier before honey time
and after, use something that will beat the mites back without polluting
your combs within reason. Mitecides have saved our behinds.

If you don't find the use of chemical miticides within your mindset,
well....don't beat up other beekeepers. March to the beat of your own
drummer and keep an open mind. The same goes for other management programs.
It's generally not an issue of right or wrong.

I always like posts from guys like Bob H. who brings something to the table,
but doesn't beat up other beekeepers if he disagrees. A good poster, in my
opinion.

I really appreciate postings from "hands on" front line guys, with one hive
or 40,000. There is something to be learned from even the smallest
beekeeper. Keep posting!

Bee chill,
Kirk www.sleepingbearfarms.com