From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2017 23:02:16 -0400
I get the same from High School students.

Everyone, keep in mind that there are students who try to weasel out of the hard work of doing the literature searches, etc. in favor of finding some sucker on the internet who will be so pleased that the student considers them to be an expert that they will do the work for the students.

It's a common strategy.  It's even done by the home schoolers looking for free teachers.  I often get several of these a week.

My own students and those in our online classes know better - if the assignment is to design and set up a research project, we require that they do a literature search, then submit a 1-2 page pre-proposal.  Any who haven't done the hard work get sent back to the drawing board.  After they come up with evidence that they have done due diligence, we can talk about the project.

This is just one of the internet issues that we face - another is the endless requests for speakers in China, Russia, etc. - Dear honored ....., we invite you ......, because of your work in this field....    However, you will have to pay all travel expenses, and the full conference registration fee, etc.   These folks are particularly quick to invite students who are tickled pink to be invited to speak at an international conference.

I've even a list of the Conference organizers who use this strategy to 'make money'.  One invites me to a different conference every week or so.  I get lonesome if Stephanie doesn't send me my weekly invite.

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert
Missoula, Mt