From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2013 09:14:05 -0400
It would be funny, but for the seriousness. Canada wants our bees now, but cannot have them. They allow importation from Australia, NZ, and Chile, but not the USA. Meanwhile, we can't import bees from those countries due to pests that they might have. In what Universe does this make sense?

Quoted Material:

Due to the long, harsh winter experienced across Canada, many beekeepers are finding a larger
than average percentage of winterkill in their apiaries.

As a result, we have received numerous questions regarding the importation of
packaged bees to replenish the hives.

Packaged bees may be sourced from Australia, New Zealand and Chile. Honeybee
packages however, cannot be sourced from the US. A prohibition order was put in place in
1987 and upheld by a full-risk assessment performed in 2003. At that time, the greatest risk for
importation was Varroa mites resistant to treatment, followed by American foulbrood,
Africanized honeybee and small hive beetle. Due to the winterkill experienced by the Industry
this year, the requests for the importation of honeybee packages from the US have increased
significantly. As a result, the CFIA is currently updating the 2003 risk assessment.

Dr. Francine Lord
Director, Animal Import/Export Division
Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer of Canada