From:
Kristina Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2016 11:54:02 -0700
Happy New Year!
  I'm looking for resources on beekeeping and rural development in
Tanzania. I have a friend who is volunteering for kilitech.org to teach
beekeeping to people in the Kilimanjaro region.  It's a done deal, so at
this point I'm not looking for a discussion of the pros, cons, and ethics,
but rather how to make the best of it. I think they will be using
Langstroth equipment at least to start, and the focus, nominally, is on
local honey production and sales. I've done a couple of these things in
Brazil with AHB and mentor local novice beekeepers so I have a few ideas.
Aside from general resources, I have a some specific questions.

What A.m. subspecies are found in that area, wild? managed?

Has anyone participated in this type of project (as a donor or recipient)
and can you give advice on what kind of contributions are lasting or
sustainable?

Who are the in country bee experts who might be able to give some advice?
Anne Harmon convinced VOCA to route us through
Ribeirao Preto, Brazil so we could talk to David Dejong and the local bee
association there, which was a huge help.  I know there are beekeepers in
Tanzania.

I know this is a huge topic.  Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Beehave mentoring and support
Boulder, CO