From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 19:17:58 -0400
I'm a 2nd year beekeeper -- started with a hive of Italians last year, and
decided to try Carniolans (hybrids from Georgia) this year.  I have noticed
some interesting differences between the two:

1)  The Carniolans don't know the meaning of the word propolis.  They use
very little compared to the Italians, who glue everything so tightly you
practically need a pick-ax to get in.

2)  They make up for it with honeycomb.  They've waxed the frames in the top
box to the tops of those in the bottom box.  Since I put on an excluder and
super, they've even waxed the excluder to the frames below.

3)  Originally, I was amazed at how friendly these bees were.  Not anymore.
 Since they've built their honeycomb in all the open spaces, I can't get in
to take a look without destroying their handiwork, killing larvae, etc.

Has anyone else made similar observations?  This is very frustrating.

Otherwise, they're doing fine.  They built up very fast,  and I'll probably
get honey soon.  But I've decided to just leave them to their own devices
otherwise. I'm tired of being stung.

Eugene Makovec
Kirlwood, MO