From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2016 18:37:53 -0400
Peter

There has been a change in opinion in recent years about whether bees hear.

I tend to agree with Charles - part of this may be how hearing is defined.

We do know that bees produce different sounds when stressed by different stressors - that could be simple a physiological response, something like a human knee jerk.    Question is, do is this more or less an autonomic response or do bees produce those sounds to communicate about the stress -  e.g. no queen, foul brood, varroa mites, nosema.  If so, they would need to be able to perceive (hear, sense vibration) the message and then to presumably respond to it in some way.

Jerry