From:
Jane Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:36:36 PST
I've been in a discussion with the historical food group, lately, about
supposed Aztec beekeeping.  I have pointed out that Apis mellifera was
an introduction from the Old World, and the progress of feral and kept bee
colonies is pretty well tracked, not making serious inroads on North America
until the mid-19th century.  Hence, the supposed Aztec beekeeping and
consumption of "honey" was highly suspect, and probably a misinterpretation.

However, the proponent of Aztec beekeeping is insistant.   I have allowed
that they might have been exploiting some other bee or related insect for
wild honey in some form, since I am familiar with honey ants. Therefore, I
figure I'll put it out to the list.  I told her I'd send her a summary of
opinions.

Jane B.   [[log in to unmask]]
OK if there were no honey bees, then what were the Aztec drawing on there
Codecs that looked like them, and what were they eating that the Spanish
in 1519 described as honey?Do you have any suggestions as to what they
could have been refering to?
_Jennifer Edwards-ring