From:
John Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 00:58:57 GMT
Missouri weather has been extremely variable; temps in the 50-60's,
down to freezing, warm again, then down to single digits.  During the
last warm spell, about three weeks ago, a 'rap' on the side of the
hive brought a strong humm.  After snow about two weeks ago, followed
by single digit temperatures, we had a day back up around 60 on the
22nd.

Checking the bees this last warm day revealed dead bees in the reduced
entrance.  There is a second entrance in the front of the top feeder,
so I initially wasn't too worried.  Except I didn't see any bees
flying.  Removing the entrance reducer revealed a solid mass of wet,
dead bees, that looked as if they had been getting ready for a
cleansing flight (lots of yellow specks attached to the bees).
Opening the hive showed plenty of stores left and every last bee dead.

I would appreciate it if anybody can give me an idea of what might
have happened.  Please feel free to reply to me at : [log in to unmask]
if you feel this is not appropiate for general discussion.

Thanks.

-- John Taylor --
(Former) Wild Rose Creek Apiary
Southeast Missouri

When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!