From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2013 17:07:21 -0500
Dee writes
> Also originally when AHB was being decided for naming ferals I was the control testing due to contract with USDA back then and so best labs and researchres in Europe did testing...

Hi all
For anyone who doesn't know, you can send samples to the Bee Lab in Tucson to check for Africanization. This service is free. To my knowledge, Dee's bees aren't checked for Africanization. At least not in 20 years, as she alludes to. This is one of the questions we have posited that she refuses to answer.

> African mtDNA first appeared in the feral Arizonan population in 1995, with the percentage of colonies exhibiting African mtDNA rising to ~74% by 1999. A study in 2005 at another site in the Sonoran desert of Arizona reported African mtDNA in 86% of colonies.

> In Arizona, bees from AHB colonies had consistently smaller bodies and flight-muscle masses and lower thorax temperatures than did bees from EHB colonies, but body mass-specific emission rates of carbon dioxide during flight were more variably distributed among races and colonies

> Waggle dances indicate that AHB reproductive swarms selected nest sites averaging 5 km from their nest entrance, 2–10 greater than typically shown by EHB. Advances in honeybee genetics may soon allow the identification of genes responsible for such phenotypic variation, providing an exciting potential for identifying the genetic basis of invasiveness and range limitations.

Harrison, Fewell, Anderson, Loper (2006) Environmental physiology of the invasion of the Americas by Africanized honeybees