From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 12:26:31 -1000
Two cents worth of opinion ($.02) Wow not much value put on my continued
attempts to be the
messenger  of possible dangers as documented by world class bee scientists,
not me, I am only
reporting what  seems apparant to me from the findings of some researchers
of honeybee
problems. And where do you people get of in calling this a Hawaii and NZ
battle. These dangers
I report are greater for Canadian and US honeybees than Hawaii honeybees At
present the NZ
honeybees just pass through the Honolulu airport and are not allowed into
our state. Only
because of our efforts in Hawaii to keep them out. The BEE RESEARCH LABORATORY
with the USDA had no problems allowing the NZ bees into the US and Hawaii
except for the
fuss that was raised in the 11th and 1/2 hour of fraudulent rule making
without proper notice
attempted by USDA last year at the request of the NZ beekeeping industry.
      How pretentious to think that anyone has any idea what happens to NZ
bees after they
arrive in Canada. Everyone has their own agenda and mine is to try a sound
the alarm that the
BEE RESEARCH LABORATORY refuses to discuss. Isn't it a little odd that BRL
has yet to
mention to the media anything about honeybee viruses? Isn't it a little odd
that BRL has yet to
notify American beekeepers of the increased problems to be expected with the
arrival of Viruses
Sorry if my comments seem to ruffle a few of you computer beekeepers and I
have strong
concerns for the integrity of the BRL with it's current organization and
it's current management
philosophy of no applied research and no peer review including input from
industry.
     Mine is not a Hawaii and NZ issue mine is an issue with the way that
the USDA, BRL
has failed to "PROTECT AMERICAN AGRICULTURE" the mission statement of the USDA.
       The best to all .       Walter Patton

Walter & Elisabeth Patton,  27-703 A Ka' ie'ie Rd., Papaikou HI.,96781
    Ph./Fax. 808-964-5401       E-Mail  hihoney@ilhawaii

Beekeeper and Bed  & Breakfast Owner in Hawaii

  http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/hihoney.htm
http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/beeware.htm
   http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/lamalani.htm