From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:58:39 -0500
Hello All,

>That there is brood in January is due, in part, to keeping the numbers up,
both for survival and for spring buildup.

Actually has little to do with keeping numbers up but rather the longer
days. When we first took bees into California for almond pollination we
heard we had to feed pollen patties. Learned later our Midwest bees had
plenty of stored pollen which they preferred over the patties (at that time
of year) but another story.

Anyway in conversation with other commercial beekeepers and pollen patty
sellers etc. we found out feeding patties or trying to get the bees to brood
up before the equinox will not happen. Being from Missouri (show me state) I
had to prove for myself. Tests were ran. Was true!

Around the 23/24 of December it was like a switch had been turned in the
hive and things started happening!

Bob