From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 2009 06:05:03 -0700
Mike and beeks,

We're enrolled in NAP and have been for years. One year we did get a fair amount of "insurance" settlement on a PP honey year. It's tough though. One must submit records for each year going back 5 years to establish an average and then the crop in question must be less than 50%  of your running average to even get any coverage. It's still a great deal. I think my FDA lady told me about it years ago. I was just lucky that my agent is very helpful and suggested it to us. Go ahead and enroll next year when you have a nice crop to establish your average. (one little note...they will accept your records even if not submitted ...just tell them that your records are correct)

The "new" program(I can't remember all the details or names) will cover losses of *livestock" due to adverse weather conditions. You evidently must have dead hives to receive any help. You can look into it yourself, but that's what I garnered from the small print.

Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........