From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 06:33:44 -0400

>Bob said:
>
>He (Sechrist) talks about removing brood and replacing with foundation to
>prevent
>swarming. I believe using drawn comb works better as the queen has room to
>lay right away. Sticking foundation in the center of the brood nest  might
>help with crowding but does little for the queen but is better than no
>action at all I suppose.

I did an experiment this year, similar to this. I removed a frame of brood
from a strong, crowded,  4 frame nuc, and replaced it with a frame of
foundation. This was at 10:00 AM. At 5:00 PM, the foundation was half
drawn. The next morning there were eggs on this frame...even though some of
the cells containing eggs were only partially drawn.
         When I add a comb to my breeder colony...queen confined to 3
combs, 2 of which have no room for her to lay...she will not lay in the
comb for about 24 hours until it is warmed and polished.

So, I can see what Sechrist is talking about...adding foundation to help
with swarming. I'm not saying one method is better than the other, but that
both work...depending on the circumstances.

Mike