From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:14:45 -0500
Hello James & All,
> The incentive to follow the standard would be clear - vendors that did
> so would be allowed to firmly state that their equipment was "Standard",
> and hence interoperable with other equipment.
Because each maker woodenware is not exactly alike how do you decide the
standard ? The differences really don't have a big effect on beekeeping. The
bees simply don't care. Many makers of woodenware are tooled up to the specs
of the largest customer. Fact! Because these guys buy amounts of woodenware
beyound our wildest dreams and they keep the price of woodenware down for
the hobbiest. When they are gone buying beekeeping woodenware could get
expensive. I believe Kim did the story in Bee Culture so if you have got a
complaint about bee space in your equipment you can look through the article
and find a maker which is closer to your specs.

< Since incompatible equipment  is clearly a problem >
I don't see the woodenware sold today by all the makers as incompatible. Not
all cut alike but certainly not *incompatible* from my viewpoint. The only
adjustment I have had to make to some woodenware has been to change the
shelf depth. Years ago woodenware was put out with a low shelf depth so a
metal frame rest could be used. Walter Kelley was responsible. To be exact:
The deep bodies were 9 9/16 deep and take the 9 1/8 frames. On Kelley boxes
the top inside ends were rabbeted out 7/8" deep so they would take the metal
frame rests *which prevent the top bars from being propolized down*.
Many beekeepers removed these metal frame rests in later years. Then
complained about burr comb. DUH!  There are two possible solutions for these
boxes which are plentiful today in all parts of the U.S.  Use a wooden strip
about the size of removable strip on a wedge top bar. Cut the top of the box
down or use metal frame rests The wooden strip was my solution.

  Non-standard gear would simply be worth
> much less on the open market than standard gear.
 Homemade non-standard gear is worth less. I have not seen any large amounts
of beekeeping woodenware(used) sell for less because of the maker.
I look out for those Kelley boxes because I know I will have to add a wooden
strip if the metal frame rests are missing.but all else works great.
 James wrote
> A pessimist says that the glass is half empty.
> An optimist says that the glass is half full.
Bob added:
A pessimist is a disappointed optimist

> One must start somewhere, sometime.  Yes, it is a shame that the vendors
> of woodenware must be prodded to do the obvious, and it is also a shame
> that this was not done decades ago, but these are not reasons to endure,
> ignore, or perpetuate the problems.
Good luck with your cause James. I like Aaron will watch from the bleachers.
Woodenware makers will be happy to oblige AS LONG AS THEY DON"T HAVE TO
SPEND MONEY or lose a valuable customer which uses those specs for a reason.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri