From:
James Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 18:19:03 -0400
Bill Parker wrote:

> Dear Learned Friends & Fellow Beekepers,
>
> As a beginner to bee-keeping I am writing seeking further information and
> reassurance on the subject of allergic reactions to bee stings.
>
> Having completed a Beginners Course over the winter months through the
> local BKA, I now have 3 colonies of bees in Nationals in my home garden.
>
> Before acquiring any bees, I was stung once on the hand by a colleague's
> bees and with the exception of the initial pain, there was no other
> reaction - within a couple of hours there was no visual evidence or
> discomfort.

As a novice, first year beekeeper I was amazed to discover that I have a bad
reaction to bee stings. One or two stings did me no harm, aside from some
swelling and itching, but a couple of weeks ago, due to my own lack of
precautions, i received 6 stings at one time. Horrible experience. Body
flushed red, full body itching rash, hands and feet swelled, couldn't walk so
much as hobble, lips swelled up, trouble swollowing and breathing, chills (in
80 degree F weather. I was functional the next day. I have no intention of
getting rid of the bees. it's just a matter of being care and using my gear.
Others can get by without the gloves and veil, I can't. As long as I use them,
I'm fine. But if I screw up and get more than 6 stings, I'm headed for the
emergency room (or the grave)!

Jim Lindstrom
Oak Forest, PA