From:
Rod Ellery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1992 10:31:00 GMT
I received the following this morning:-

Original From: [log in to unmask]

We have just heard that Varroa has been found and confirmed in Devon. Thorns
(the equipment supplier) have advised their agents that`Varroa has been
confirmed in the Torbay Area!

We have no further details at the moment, but it is now most important for
ALL UK beekeepers to send samples to Luddington for varroa screening.

Beekeepers who belong to their county BKA will know what is wanted, but in
case any new beekeepers do not, here is what you should do:-

Collect the debris scraped off floorboards when you spring clean your
colonies. Put the whole lot from your apiary in a paper bag (NOT plastic). Do
not use plastic as this will sweat and cause moulds to grow. and send it,
together with your name and address, to:

     Varroa Search,
     National Beekeeping Unit,
     Luddington,
     Warwickshire.

If you want a reply, please include an SAE There is no charge for this
service. You will, of course, get a reply anyway if you do`have it :-(

I have today spoken to Mike Brown at Luddington. He confirms the above and
told me that Varroa had been found in 8-9 apiaries in Devon. He pointed out
that this means that this means it cannot therefore be treated as an isolated
outbreak.

All Uk beekeepers are advised to send samples of hive debris to Luddington as
described in the included message. If your spring clean has already been done
then the debris from a tobacco-smoked hive should be sent. (Use 3mg tobacco).
Luddington will try to reply to all but they may be a bit snowed under during
the next few weeks. A SAE will improve your chances of a reply. Obviously a
positive test will get a reply anyway.

At present there is no licensed recommended treatment for Varroa in this
country but I am told that a treatment is 'in train' ie on the way. Whether
this will be available to individual beekeepers or just to BDI officers is
unknown as are the exact timescales.

 Rod Ellery  <[log in to unmask]>